Before the mister and I got married, we used to go on a budget trip on our anniversary. It serves as our celebration and gift to one another. Parang pinagbibigyan na namin yung mga sarili namin mag-relax after submitting ourselves to work.
Hanggang ngayon naman. Even with the kids, we make it a point to go on a trip as our anniversary celebration. Iba na nga lang ngayon as it becomes more of a field trip than an anniversary getaway. It gets both challenging and exciting, though. Kasi iba talaga when you bring tour kids on board.
At iba din kapag padami sila ng padami. Haha.
Sharing with you a few points when going on a family getaway:
- Research. When you go on a family trip, make sure you know enough about your destination. Most specially kid-friendly amenities you can use. Or places around the vicinity you can explore.
- Make a schedule, take note of your kids’ sleeping and meal time. Know when they are sleepy or hungry kasi they’re more likely to throw tantrums when they are too sleepy or tired or hungry. Lalo na toddlers.
- Tell them about your trip. This works well with Jhia. I used to tell her beforehand about our upcoming trip – saan kami pupunta, ano’ng meron sa pupuntahan, ano’ng gagawin namin, sino kasama, ganun. I sometimes do it by relating it to something she’s watched. Para lang may idea siya or something to look forward to.
- Kids are naturally impatient so bring distractions lalo na kung mahaba ang biyahe. This could be their favorite toy, comfort food or books. As much as possible, we don’t allow watching on phones during travel so I make sure to bring lots of ‘distraction ideas’. I sometimes lend my phone, though, with internet connection off and music downloaded via a music app. Si Jhia kasi mahilig sa music kaya madalas nagkakanta kanta kami sa sasakyan habang biyahe. Super last option ang manood sa phone.
- Bring enough clothes. And by this I mean bring set of clothes that are perfect for outdoors and indoors, cold and warm weather. Minsan kasi, lalo na for local travels, hindi natin maintindihan ang weather just as and adaptation ni bagets sa pagbabago ng temperature so it’s better to be ready. Bring clothes din for activities like swimming para kung maisipan niyo mag-swimming.
They say travelling is good for kids. It helps them learn – especially for toddlers. Sa atin naman mga parents, we get to know our children well as we often learn about their interests when we bring the out. Healthwise naman, makakabuti yung sama sama kayong pamilya na mag-relax sa pagpunta sa beach or by simply nature tripping.
Side note lang: When you go on a trip, let your kids explore and enjoy. ‘Wag lahat bawal. That way, you can also enjoy your trip at less stress at init ng ulo for you.
We recently went on a nature tripping and zoo adventure. Ikukwento ko yan next so stay tuned. Meantime, go and book that family vacation you’ve been dreaming about. We deserve a break, parents! 😉